Sunday, September 20, 2009

Pin Trading- An Unexpected Pleasure!

You may have seen the red lanyard hanging around my neck in a few of the photos I've posted here or at FB. That's my Pin Trading Lanyard and it is an activity that Stephen and I didn't expect to enjoy as much as we did. Eddie just stood back and watched, though he did purchase a Herbie pin and a mouse shaped speedometer pin, both of which he kept and didn't wear.

Pin Trading began about 10 years ago, as far as I can tell (there are pins commemorating the anniversary available for sale throughout the Kingdom). One can buy pins with prices starting at $7, though you can spend much more. Most of the pins that I have are in the lower price range.

Here's a picture of the pins I've collected so far. Those on the red lanyard are from this trip to Disney- some were purchased, but most were traded. Those on the purple fabric are some of the pins that I had purchased earlier that I liked and decided to keep.

A serious pin trader I'll never be. I don't have the courage to approach a complete stranger and ask about trading pins, though Stephen had a young lady do just that. We were on the bus and she saw a Princess pin that he had on his lanyard- one of those that I'd purchased earlier in order to trade. The young lady (she was 18 or so) saw the pin and told him that he could have any pin on her lanyard if he would give her the Princess pin. It was a birthday pin with Belle on it- it was this young lady's birthday that day, and her favorite princess is Belle. Anyway- he traded a Mickey for it and both went happily on with their day. The rest of our trading was done with the Cast Members, who wear lanyards around their necks and encourage trading. In fact, they can't say no to a trade. In all fairness though, most of the pins on their lanyards are of the least expensive variety. Still- I found a few that I really liked and did some trading.
There are limited edition pins such as the Labor Day pin that I purchased at Epcot and the 999 pin that I found at the Contemporary on the 9th of September- released just that morning! There are also limited edition pins that are available only on the nights of special events, such as the Halloween Party. I purchased one of those as well. All told, I purchased 5 pins, all for less than $10 each. A very inexpensive souvenir as far as Disney is concerned!
I loved going to the pin sections of the gift shops and to the pin trading carts throughout the Kingdom. Even though I didn't buy very many, I loved to look at them all. Pin Trading is an activity that I'm sure Stephen and I will do again when we one day return to the World.
Besides, I'm still looking for 101 Dalmations and The Aristocats. Maybe next time!

No comments: